Blogs > The View, A Male's Point

I have to admit my guilty pleasure is going home from work and watching "The View". As a faithful fan I noticed that very rarely does a man get to sit at the table and chime in on Hot Topics. Well, here is my chance to express my views on Hot Topics, movies, TV, Theater, current events, politics and my observations on life! Your comments are always welcome.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A View on Being Bullied!

Like many people, I am disturbed by all the teen suicides that have been occurring due to bullying. And these kids are being bullied because they are gay or perceived to be gay. Every time I think that the next generation is color-blind and open to gays it seems we take a giant step back.

In my opinion this kind of bullying is a hate crime and I feel that hate is taught at home or by so called grown-ups. Children are born innocent and I remember in my youth hearing adults(not necessarily from my family) throwing racial epitaphs and making fun of gay people. I didn’t let it affect me but I could see how it did in other kids from the way they talked or treated people.

I was also a victim of bullying when I was in school because I was short and thin, not good at sports, in the band and had a passion for acting. So, I can understand where these kids thoughts are coming from having been there myself. You are afraid to go to school, because you know you have to deal with the humiliation in the hallways, that in gym class you were going to be the last one to be picked next to the heavy kid. It was hard to ask girls out for dates because of what and how others perceived me. My grades also suffered because I didn’t want to draw attention to myself, even though in 7th grade I was in the higher track with the other smart kids. My salvations were the band and drama, they were my family and a safe place to go.

I never told my parents about what was going on because it would have been to embarrassing for me, and I think it’s true with so many teens, you want your parents to think you are “cool”.

After high school I remained very shy and introverted and very uncomfortable around new people for fear of how they would judge me and I wondered if the hurt and emotional pain would continue into adulthood. But when I turned twenty, two things happened, my mother passed away, whom I loved dearly and I was rehearsing a play. I was sitting in my car before a rehearsal, thinking of my mom and how introverted she was, the pain of her loss very fresh, and I thought I can’t do this anymore. I can no longer go on being alone and decided to let people see the real me and I discovered something wonderful, that I wasn’t a freak and that there were people who genuinely loved me and life wasn’t that bad.

I have attached a video of a very brave and courageous councilmen for Texas talking about his experiences being a gay kid and as he says “Life Gets Better”.

To parents and adults, I would like to quote a Stephen Sondhiem song “Children Will Listen”. These words are very true:

Careful the things you say
Children will listen
Careful the things you do
Children will see and learn
Children may not obey, but children will listen
Children will look to you for which way to turn
To learn what to be
Careful before you say "Listen to me"
Children will listen

Please watch this entire video and share it with your friends and relatives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4&feature=player_embedded

And as always, remember to stop, take a look around and enjoy your view!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home